Areas of Practice
Spiritus Law is a business law firm focusing on specific, highly complex areas of law that require dedicated effort and long-term practical experience.
We focus our firm’s legal practices primarily in the areas of food and alcohol licensing and regulatory laws, cannabis business consulting, civil and administrative litigation and regulatory and business compliance guidance. Our experience is diverse and enables our attorneys and legal staff throughout Florida to provide comprehensive services to satisfy all client legal needs including such areas as federal and state licensing, alcohol retailer expansion projects, hospitality
Our years of experience and collaboration with industry leaders also enables clients to benefit from our vast network of colleagues and trusted relationships.
Alcohol Industry Practice
The Alcohol Industry Group represents foreign and domestic manufacturers, importers and a vast array of retailers including package stores, large box retailers, online retailers, restaurants, movie theaters, hotels, arenas and other entertainment and hospitality clients in achieving their business objectives. We focus our experience on providing comprehensive regulatory services including alcohol and food service licensing and permitting, development of licensing structures and business operational guidelines for the manufacturing, importation, purchase, sale and service of alcohol beverages.
Our services are comprehensive with attention to all aspects of business permitting and compliant operations including:
- Food and alcohol licensing options for the manufacturing, importation, sale and service of alcoholic beverages
- Complete business permitting, including federal, state and local licensing for food and/or alcohol service establishments
- Alcohol related land use and zoning approval processes
- Regulatory compliance review and auditing
- Lease review and negotiations including landlord disclosures and percentage rent issues
- Ancillary permitting for collateral hospitality industry amenities such as spas and salons
- Licensing with Division of Hotels & Restaurants, Department of Health and Department of Agriculture
- Analysis of alcohol marketing, brand sponsorships, product promotions and social media
- Management and tracking of multi-jurisdictional alcohol licensing projects and license transfers
- Defense against regulatory enforcement investigations and/or criminal allegations
- Legislative lobbying and consulting with federal, state and local government agencies
- Municipal code amendment processes including hours of sale, special exemptions and variances
- Acquisition and sale of alcohol licenses, due diligence and transaction closing
- Trade practice ("tied-house") and compliance issues at the federal and state level on alcohol direct shipping, brand sponsorships, cooperative advertising and brand slotting fee regulations.
Cannabis Industry Consulting
The cannabis industry is expected to continue its vast expansion and integration into mainstream production and sales. Our attorneys have gained vast practical experience with the laws governing regulated products and are focused on following the evolution of cannabis regulation. We currently work with all tiers of the cannabis industry to promote the development of sustainable business practices and advancement of legislative efforts.
- Government relations including state and local lobbying
- Regulatory compliance and review of operational requirements
- Legislation monitoring
- Licensing and permitting
- Administrative and criminal defense
- Real property acquisition consulting and review of local land use regulations
- Review and analysis of marketing and advertising programs
Business and Regulatory Compliance Services
We strive to focus on the specific needs and long-term goals of our clients by tailoring operational guidance that serves business objectives and regulatory compliance concerns. Our Business Compliance Services focus on assisting clients with both project development and maintenance after the initial scope of work is completed. We utilize our experience to help clients build an internal regulatory infrastructure that can help keep operating licenses and permits in good standing.
Compliance Services Highlights
- Operating requirements review and advice
- Operating license and permit renewal filings
- Corporate change and disclosure filings
- Local ordinance monitoring and regulatory amendment tracking
- Trade practice, advertising and social media counseling and promotion reviews
- Location specific operational summaries and regulation tracking
- Project and license tracking status monitoring
- Dedicated client teams that facilitate integrated representation from project inception through the various licensing processes and on to continued post-licensing guidance and license maintenance
Complex Business Litigation
Spiritus Law attorneys frequently handle complicated client issues which threaten ongoing business activities and relationships, either through a breakdown in negotiation or in the performance of contract obligations. Our complex business litigation team has extensive experience in:
- Florida state courts, federal courts and the Court of Appeals
- Handling a variety of lawsuits both as plaintiff and defense counsel
- A vast array of regulated industries, offering clients a unique perspective on conflict resolution and trial strategy
Corporate & Transactional Law Practice
The Corporate & Transactional Law team advises corporate entities conducting business across the U.S., Latin America, the Caribbean and Europe. Our attorneys have notable experience in:
- Negotiating and drafting a variety of operating and management agreements for hospitality and alcohol industry clients
- Negotiating and drafting distribution agreements, corporate governance and compliance documents, as well as shareholder agreements
- Defending domestic and foreign entities in complex, cross-border disputes involving business acquisitions, partnership, securities and investment claims.