James P. Gueits, who joins Spiritus Law as a partner in our Coral Gables office, advises business entities operating in the US and Latin America in transactional and regulatory matters, including compliance and governance issues across a broad range of industries such as bio-technology, supply-chain, finance, regulated products, consumer electronics, software, commercial real estate and hospitality. James has broad experience handling in-bound transactions, including business structuring, cross-border acquisitions, joint-venture and investment-related matters. James also represents business interests securing government approvals from regulatory agencies.
James also possesses an extensive litigation background, with particular experience defending foreign entities throughout complex litigation arising from failed investments, acquisitions, joint-venture and shareholder disputes. He has appeared before trial and appellate courts, and conducted numerous legal proceedings, including a jury trial, in Spanish.
- Advised Allied Universal national security services firm during post-merger rights transfer of government services contracts valued over $100 million.
- Represented Aiva Holdings, a financial services firm based in Uruguay during disposition of U.S. based wealth management subsidiary.
- Advised foreign promoters of equity securities with respect to unregistered offering pursuant to federal and state exemptions.
- Advised Spanish renewable energy concern during sale of assets in Puerto Rico.
- Representation of multi-national biotechnology firm during establishment of US presence and subsequent business combinations, including acquisition, disposition and joint-venture transactions.
- Advised blockchain-based technology concern during corporate structuring and initial capitalization.
- Advised foreign-based firm during acquisition of U.S. based competitor.
- Represented Latin America distributor of medical equipment during sale of minority interest.
- Advised private equity fund during sale of portfolio-company to management group.
- Represented foreign investors acquiring minority stake in the Florida Free Trade Zone (FTZ-32), a 47-acre industrial park among the first in South Florida to receive the federal duty-free trade designation.
- Local corporate counsel to Spanish multinational securing 45 Million Euro credit facility from international banking institution.
- Advised directors of online real estate finance platform with respect to senior debt offering.
- Advised Mexican family office with respect to acquisition and financing of commercial real-estate assets.
- Assisted with review of foreign alcohol manufacturer importer agreements and drafting various start-up corporate business agreements;
- Review and analysis of dram shop liability issues and defense of related civil and administrative complaints.
Memberships and Associations:
- The Florida Bar, Member
- The Florida Bar, International Law Section, Member
- Cuban American Bar Association (CABA), Member
- Hispanic National Bar Association (HNBA), Member
- South Florida Legal Guide, "Top Up and Comer" (2017 - 2018)
- 40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers of South Florida, 2016
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2017
Education and Background:
- St. Thomas University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- University of Miami B.S., Communication
Admitted to Practice:
- United States District Court, Southern District of Florida
- City of Coral Gables Pension System, Trustee, 2010-present;
- Investment Committee, 2015-present; Chairman, 2012-2014
- Drug Free Youth In Town, Board of Directors, Chairman, 2013- 2015
- Doral Business Council, Board of Directors, 2007-2012
- Miami-Dade Mortgage Fraud Taskforce, Regulatory Committee Member, 2007